•  
  •  
 

About This Journal

The Annals of Iowa (ISSN: 0003-4827 (Print) ISSN: 2473‐9006 (Online), ISSN-L 0003-4827) is published quarterly by the State Historical Society of Iowa, the Historical Division of the Department of Cultural Affairs of the State of Iowa. A print copy of The Annals of Iowa is available by subscription. Most back issues are still available for sale. The current year is available in print only.

The Annals of Iowa is indexed by:

  • America: History and Life, 1/1/1863-
  • ArticleFirst, vol.60, 2001-vol.64, no.4, 2005
  • Current Abstracts, 1/1/2009-
  • Dietrich's Index Philosophicus
  • GeoRef
  • Historical Abstracts (Online), 1/1/1863-
  • IBZ - Internationale Bibliographie der Geistes- und Sozialwissenschaftlichen Zeitschriftenliteratur
  • Internationale Bibliographie der Rezensionen Geistes- und Sozialwissenschaftlicher Literatur
  • MLA International Bibliography (Modern Language Association)
  • MLA International Bibliography (Modern Language Association)
  • MLA International Bibliography (Modern Language Association)
  • Poetry & Short Story Reference Center, 01/01/1863-
  • PubMed
  • TOC Premier (Table of Contents), 1/1/2009-

The Annals of Iowa is hosted by the University of Iowa Libraries' Institutional Repository (Iowa Research Online).

Journal History

v. [1] (1863)-12 (1874) were published by the State Historical Society, Iowa City, and edited by S.S. Howe (1863-1864), T.S. Parvin (1865), Frederick Lloyd (1866, 1870-1874) and S.W. Huff (1867-1869).

New ser. v. 1 (1882)-3 (1884) were published and edited by Samuel Storrs Howe. The issues were also called “Howe's annals of Iowa”

3rd series, v.1 (1893), was published by: Historical Department of Iowa, 1893-1925; Historical, Memorial and Art Department of Iowa, 1925-1939; Iowa State Department of History and Archives, 1939-1974; Iowa State Historical Department, Historical Museum and Archives Division, 1974-1985; State Historical Society of Iowa, a division of the Iowa Department of Cultural Affairs,1985-present. The editors have been: Charles Aldrich, 1893-1908; Edgar Harlan, 1909-1937; O.E. Klingaman, 1937-1939; Ora Williams, 1939-1947; Emory H. English, 1947-1958; Fleming Fraker, Jr., 1958-1961; Suzanne Beisel, 1961-1965; Sandra Knapron, 1965-1966; Jane Risdon, 1966; Joan Muyskens, 1967-1969; Dorothy Carlson, 1969-1971; Linda K. Thomson, 1971-1972; Judith Gildner, 1972-1980; Christie Dailey, 1980-1988; Marvin Bergman, 1988-present.

The State Historical Society of Iowa

The society operates from two centers, Des Moines and Iowa City. A museum, research library, state archives, special collections, community programming, historic preservation, and membership programs are located at 600 East Locust Street, Des Moines, IA 50319, phone 515-281-5111. Publications, a research library, and special collections are located at 402 Iowa Avenue, Iowa City, IA 52240, phone 319-335-3916. The society also operates several historic sites across the state.