The Benjamin F. Shambaugh Conference is sponsored by the Department of Political Science of the University of Iowa and supported by funds placed at the disposal of the department in memory of Professor Benjamin F. Shambaugh. Professor Shambaugh headed the department from its founding in 1900 to his death in 1940. He served as President of the American Political Science Association in 1930.
The Shambaugh Memorial Fund has permitted the department to sponsor a series of lectures and conferences. Shambaugh lectures have been given by such distinguished political scientists as Karl Deutsch, Charles S. Hyneman, Dayton D. McKean, Arnold Rogow, Sheldon Wolin, and Herman Finer. These lectures yielded a number of books and other scholarly publications.
Browse the contents of Benjamin F. Shambaugh Conferences:
- The New Economic Voter (March 22-25, 2012)
- Organized by: Michael Lewis-Beck. "The New Economic Voter” Shambaugh conference brings together scholars to discuss the current standing of theory and findings in the field of economic voting.
- Lessons from Subnational Comparative Politics: Theory and Method in the Third Decade of Studying Russia’s Regions (October 6-9, 2011)
- Organized by: William Reisinger. The conference will bring together scholars from North America, Great Britain and Russia who study the comparative politics of Russian regions. Participants will present original research and assess the strength of current studies as contributions to the comparative knowledge of politics. After revision, the papers presented at the conference will be published in an edited volume.
- Election Reform (May 7-9, 2009)
- Organized by: Caroline Tolbert.
- Understanding the 2008 Presidential Elections (March 5-8, 2009)
- Organized by: Brian Lai, Michael Lewis-Beck, David Redlawsk, and Caroline Tolbert.
- The American Voter: Change Or Continuity Over the Last Fifty Years (May 8-10, 2008)
- Organized by: Michael Lewis-Beck. This conference resulted in the book The American Voter Revisited (University of Michigan, 2008). ISBN: 9780472050406.
- Kirchheimer Reconsidered: Applications and Implications of the Catch-All Thesis Forty Years Later (July 26-28, 2007)
- Organized by: Jae-Jae Spoon.
- Service Learning, Civic Engagement & Local & State Government (2006)
- Organized by: Tom Rice and David Redlawsk. This conference resulted in the book Civic service : service-learning with state and local government partners (Jossey-Bass, 2009). ISBN: 9780470373743.
- Building Synergies: Institutions & Cooperation in World Politics (2006)
- Organized by: Sara Mitchell. This conference resulted in "Building synergies", a special issue of Conflict management and peace science, (v.26 no.2)
- Straddling State and Society: Challenges and Insights from Associations (2005)
- Organized by: Benjamin Read. This conference resulted in the book Local organizations and urban governance in East and Southeast Asia: straddling state and society (Routledge, 2009). ISBN: 9780415492997.
- Affect and Cognition in Political Action (2003)
- Organized by: David Redlawsk and G. R. Boynton. This conference resulted in the book Feeling politics : emotion in political information processing (Palgrave, 2006). ISBN: 9781403971784.
- Russia’s Parliamentary and Presidential Elections: An In-Depth Assessment of Outcomes and Effects (2000)
- Organized by: Vicki Hesli and William Reisinger. This conference resulted in the book The 1999-2000 elections in Russia: their impact and legacy (Cambridge, 2003). ISBN: 0521816769.
Implications of Recent Research on the U.S. Congress for Research on Legislatures Outside the United States (1998)
Organized by: Gerhard Loewenberg and Peverill Squire. This conference resulted in a series of articles in legislative Studies Quarterly, beginning with v.24 no.1.
Experimental Testing of Formal Models in Political Science (1995)
Organized by: Rebecca Morton.
Formal Models of Bargaining in International Relations (1993)
Organized by: James Lindsay, John Conybeare, and Gerald Sorokin. This conference resulted in a special issue of The Journal of Conflict Resolution, (v.38 no.2).
Rhetorics as Politics: Discourses Civic and Academic (1991)
Organized by: John Nelson.
The New Soviet Citizen: Public Opinion and Politics in the Gorbachev Era (1990)
Organized by: Vicki Hesli, Arthur Miller and William Reisinger. This conference resulted in the book Public opinion and regime change: the new politics of post-Soviet societies (Westview, 1993). ISBN: 0813315034
Communication, Cognition, Political Judgment and Action (1988)
Organized by: G. R. Boynton. This conference resulted in a special issues of Political behavior, (v.12 no.1 and v.12 no.2).
First in the Nation: Iowa and the Presidential Nominating Process (1988)
Organized by: Peverill Squire. This conference resulted in the book The Iowa Caucuses and the Presidential Nominating Process (Westview Press, 1989). ISBN: 0813377129
The Impact of Economic Conditions on Electoral Outcomes (1984)
Organized by: Michael Lewis-Beck. This conference resulted in the book Economic conditions and electoral outcomes : the United States and Western Europe (Agathon Press, 1985). ISBN: 9780875860725
Political Science at Iowa (1982)
Organized by: Samuel C. Patterson.
Rural Development in Less Developed Countries (1981)
Organized by: Joel Barkan. This conference resulted in the publication Local politics and rural development in Kenya, Korea, and Turkey (Comparative Research Center, University of Iowa, 1981).
The Place of Political Theory in Political Science (1981)
Organized by: Lane Davis and John Nelson. This conference resulted in the book What Should Political Theory Be Now? (SUNY, Albany, 1983). ISBN: 9780873956956
Biological Bases of Political Behavior (1980)
Organized by: Douglas Madsen and John C. Wahlke. This conference resulted in "The Biology of politics", a special issue of International Political Science Review (v. 3, no. 1) and "The Biobehavioral study of politics", a special issue of The American Behavioral Scientist (v.25, no.3).
Mathematics in Political Science Instruction (1977)
Organized by: G. R. Boynton. This conference resulted in producing materials for instruction which have been published and distributed by the Project on Modules and Monographs in Undergraduate Mathematics and Its Applications.
The Role of European Parliaments in Managing Social Conflict (1977)
Organized by: Gerhard Loewenberg. This conference resulted in the book "The role of European parliaments in managing social conflict", a special issue of Legislative studies quarterly (v.3, no.1).
Teaching Political Science (1974)
Organized by: Vernon Van Dyke. This conference resulted in the book Teaching Political Science: The professor and the polity (Humanities Press, 1977). ISBN: 0391006851.
Legislatures in Developing Countries (1971)
Organized by: G. R. Boynton and C. L. Kim. This conference resulted in the book Legislative Systems in Developing Countries (Duke University Press, 1975). ISBN: 9780822303442.
Comparative Legislative Behavior Research (1969)
Organized by: Samuel C. Patterson and John C. Wahlke. This conference resulted in the book Comparative Legislative Behavior: frontiers of research (Wiley, 1972. ISBN: 9780471670209
Frontiers of Judicial Research (1967)
Organized by: Joseph Tanenhaus and Joel Grossman. This conference resulted in the book Frontiers of Judicial Research (Wiley, 1969).