The Benjamin F. Shambaugh Conference is sponsored by the Department of Political Science of the University of Iowa and supported by funds placed at the disposal of the department in memory of Professor Benjamin F. Shambaugh. Professor Shambaugh headed the department from its founding in 1900 to his death in 1940. He served as President of the American Political Science Association in 1930.
The Shambaugh Memorial Fund has permitted the department to sponsor a series of lectures and conferences. Shambaugh lectures have been given by such distinguished political scientists as Karl Deutsch, Charles S. Hyneman, Dayton D. McKean, Arnold Rogow, Sheldon Wolin, and Herman Finer. These lectures yielded a number of books and other scholarly publications.
Browse the contents of Benjamin F. Shambaugh Conferences:
- 2020 Iowa Caucus
- Organized by: Caroline Tolbert
- What Do We Know About War?, December 5 7, 2019
- International Relations & Network Analysis, October 24-26, 2019
- The New Economic Voter (March 22-25, 2012)
- Organized by: Michael Lewis-Beck. "The New Economic Voter” Shambaugh conference brings together scholars to discuss the current standing of theory and findings in the field of economic voting.
- Lessons from Subnational Comparative Politics: Theory and Method in the Third Decade of Studying Russia’s Regions (October 6-9, 2011)
- Organized by: William Reisinger. This conference resulted in the book Russia’s Regions and Comparative Subnational Politics (Routledge, 2013). ISBN: 9780415629966
- Election Reform (May 7-9, 2009)
- Organized by: Caroline Tolbert
- Understanding the 2008 Presidential Elections (March 5-8, 2009)
- Organized by: Brian Lai, Michael Lewis-Beck, David Redlawsk, and Caroline Tolbert.
- The American Voter: Change Or Continuity Over the Last Fifty Years (May 8-10, 2008)
- Organized by: Michael Lewis-Beck. This conference resulted in the book The American Voter Revisited (University of Michigan, 2008). ISBN: 9780472050406.
- Kirchheimer Reconsidered: Applications and Implications of the Catch-All Thesis Forty Years Later (July 26-28, 2007)
- Organized by: Jae-Jae Spoon.
- Service Learning, Civic Engagement & Local & State Government (2006)
- Organized by: Tom Rice and David Redlawsk. This conference resulted in the book Civic service : service-learning with state and local government partners (Jossey-Bass, 2009). ISBN: 9780470373743.
- Building Synergies: Institutions & Cooperation in World Politics (2006)
- Organized by: Sara Mitchell. This conference resulted in "Building synergies", a special issue of Conflict management and peace science, (v.26 no.2)
- Straddling State and Society: Challenges and Insights from Associations (2005)
- Organized by: Benjamin Read. This conference resulted in the book Local organizations and urban governance in East and Southeast Asia: straddling state and society (Routledge, 2009). ISBN: 9780415492997.
- Affect and Cognition in Political Action (2003)
- Organized by: David Redlawsk and G. R. Boynton. This conference resulted in the book Feeling politics : emotion in political information processing (Palgrave, 2006). ISBN: 9781403971784.
- Russia’s Parliamentary and Presidential Elections: An In-Depth Assessment of Outcomes and Effects (2000)
- Organized by: Vicki Hesli and William Reisinger. This conference resulted in the book The 1999-2000 elections in Russia: their impact and legacy (Cambridge, 2003). ISBN: 0521816769.